Durham ranked 5th in Guardian University Guide

By Julia Atherley

Durham University has been ranked 5th in the Guardian University Guide 2019, down one place from last year.

English Literature and Music were both ranked 1st for their subject as they were in the 2019 Complete University Guide.

Physics, Geography, and History were all ranked 2nd in their subject tables. Classics and Ancient History and Theology were both ranked 3rd.

Cambridge University was placed 1st followed by Oxford, St Andrews, Loughborough, and Durham.

Unlike other league tables, the guide looks at issues which specifically affect students and does not look at research output.

According to the study, 37.1% of Durham students are from private schools and 22% of students are from non-EU countries.

A new continuation measure has been added this year, which shows what percentage of students are likely to carry on their course from first to second year.

The measure can be indicative of how good universities are in supporting their students, including those who are struggling.

Durham scored 97 in the continuation category, which is above the national average of 91.

The data on gender shows that 54.64% of Durham students are female and 45.36% are male.

Durham University has a staff to student ratio of 14.9, which means there are 14.9 students per member of teaching staff. UCL leads in this measure, with 10.3 students per staff member.

The University has an overall student satisfaction rating of 89, which places it 10th across the country in the rating for the overall quality of the course, given by final-year students in the latest National Student Survey.

Photograph: Tim Rawle via Flickr

@julia_atherley