Durham ranked top for English and Music in Complete University Guide

By Helena Snider 

Durham University has retained its place as the 6th best university in the UK, according to the 2019 Complete University Guide.

Durham has 31 subjects achieving top ten listings, taking first place in the English and Music league tables in 2019. This is the fifth consecutive year in which Durham has been ranked top for English by the Guide.

Further subjects at Durham ranked in the top ten include Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Politics and Law.

The universities in the top ten have remained unchanged from last year’s table, although some have changed positions. Cambridge and Oxford retained their first and second places respectively.

The London School of Economics and Imperial College London both moved up a place, to third and fourth place respectively while St. Andrews dropped to fifth place from third last year.

Loughborough, Lancaster, Warwick and UCL remain in the top 10.

The Complete University Guide ranks universities by their entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality, and graduate prospects.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor and Warden, Durham University, said: “Durham is one of the world’s great universities and one of the most distinctive.

“We aim to build on success with an ambitious strategy that is seeing us invest in new facilities that will enhance research, teaching and the wider student experience while continuing to attract some of the world’s best academics to Durham.

“Our success in international and national rankings and league tables is something the whole University can be proud of.”

Photograph: Fr Lawrence Lew, O.P. via Flickr