Durham University host TEDx Event

Durham University hosted the annual TEDx event on the 8th June at the Gala Theatre.

The independently organised conference was led by co-presidents Laura Sprogytė and Henrietta Kent and a team of ten other students.

In a statement on the event’s Facebook page, they announced their theme as “Things Left Unsaid,” and highlighted that they would be “exploring the many inspiring possibilities that spring from asking the questions that are often ignored and the power that comes from challenging the norm.”

They added: “This year’s conference is about breaking boundaries and asking important questions that will ultimately lead to greater understanding.”

The event featured three speakers and various performers from Durham University.

Speakers included current student Lewis Alexander Baxter, a first-year law student who gave a speech on “Mental Health: Where do we go from here?” which explored how mental health can be better understood.

Geography and Anthropology student gave a speech titled “Addicted to growth – GDP as a hallmark of the Anthropocene” which focused on the environmental consequences of growth.

Second-year Geography Student addressed the need for economic indicators to promote collaboration between nations in her talk “Enough with Economic Growth: why our entire approach to the economy must change”

Speaking to Palatinate, Ms Lassman said: “Having events like TEDx is really important to platform new, unheard ideas and offer an educational understanding that’s a bit different to the disciplinary confines of our system.

“I spoke about GDP’s faults and its implicit prioritisation of economic growth, presenting instead my paper suggesting an alternative indicator – the Global Integration and Individual Potential index – an idea that wouldn’t have been given a voice in a traditional academic setting.

“Having events like TEDx is really important to platform new, unheard ideas and offer an educational understanding”

Alice Lassmann

“Theming topics by ideas, not subject, seems the most powerful way to teach us all something – and, more importantly, to help inspire the change the idea wants to see.”

Performers at the event included the Northern Lights A Cappella group, Durham Instep Dance Society, Durham University Gospel Choir, and Castle String Quartet.

Co-presidents Laura Sprogytė and Henrietta Kent told Palatinate: “The team was very inspired to work on the event as Durham students were so keen to attend. We spent months planning it and trying to make it the best TEDxDurhamUniversity experience so far.

“The team was very inspired to work on the event as Durham students were so keen to attend”

Laura Sprogytė and Henrietta Kent, co-presidents of TEDxDurhamUniversity

“We really hope that everyone who had a chance to attend enjoyed it, and we are already looking forward to the next event – the conference is becoming better each year!”

The event was highly anticipated, with tickets selling out in 2 minutes. The half-day event was attended by over 90 people, with refreshments and lunch provided.

Photographs by Peter Liu.