Durham ranked 6th best university in the UK

By Blundell

Durham University has been ranked sixth in the country in The Complete University Guide 2020, for the second consecutive year.

This marks the 12th year in a row that Durham has been listed in the top 10 of the league table.

Cambridge and Oxford maintained their respective positionings as first and second in the country, whilst St Andrew’s, London School of Economics and imperial College London made up the rest of the top five.

90% of subjects taught at Durham were ranked in the top ten in the UK, with English and Music ranked number one.

In an email sent to students, Professor Stuart Corbridge stated: “To achieve this, and our other league table successes, during what continues to be a challenging time for the UK Higher Education Sector, is extremely rewarding.”

“We are proud to be known globally as a centre of teaching and research excellence. Our continuing high standing is a wonderful testimony to the quality of everyone associated with the University: thank you all.”

The Complete University Guide is compiled according to numerous factors, including student satisfaction, graduate prospects and investment in facilities.

Durham scored 206 for entry standards, 82.0/100.0 for graduate prospects, and 4.13/ 5.00 for student satisfaction.

The ranking follows Durham’s recent success in the QS World University Subject 2020, in which 18 subjects were included in the world top 100, whilst three maintained their places in the world top 10.

Changes in the also saw St. Andrews move up to third place, overtaking both the London School of Economics (LSE) and Imperial College London.

Photograph: