Gilesgate to University bus service relaunched

The S1 Durham bus service has been relaunched as the Pink Bus service, connecting Gilesgate, Claypath and Elvet with the University.

Students from the residential areas of Ernest Place, Chapel Heights and Kepier Court in Gilesgate will be able to get to their lectures within ten minutes as a result of the new scheme.

The new service has the support of Bill Free Homes, Mansion Student, Studious IM and Durham County Council, as well as the university’s Green Travel Office. Peter Smith, director of Bill Free Homes told Palatinate: “This is more of a community service than a commercial operation and we are proud to assist the operators in their efforts, we hope that with a good uptake it will run for years to come!”

The availability of this route will open up housing options as accommodation further afield is made more feasible by the new service.

For students living more centrally or in college, the bus is ideal for shopping trips to Tesco Extra, Lidl and Aldi, with the bus running up to every 20 minutes 6 days a week.

A variety of payment options are in place for using the Pink Bus service. Students can opt for a pay-as-you-go option of £30, or commit to a monthly fare of £23.

To encourage students to make this investment, the service is offering free student taster weeks on the weeks commencing 15th October, 22nd October and 29th October. You can register for this taster online, but there are only 250 places available.

More details can be found at www.thepinkbus.co.uk and apps can be downloaded at Android and Apple app stores.

Photograph by Bill Free Homes.