Durham alumni make Queen’s Birthday honours list

By Blundell

A number of Durham University alumni have featured in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for 2019.

Eleven previous students of the University are featured on the list this year, graduating between 1968 and 1985.

Miss Julie Carlton MBE, who attended St John’s College to study Classics in 1985, has been honoured for services to maritime safety.

Miss Carlton is Head of Seafarer Health and Safety at the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) and has worked to increase consideration of wellbeing issues facing seafarers.

Mrs Jennifer D Charles MBE, who attended the College of St. Hild & St. Bede to study Arts Combined in 1968, has been honoured for services to the Administration of Justice and the community in Hampshire.

Mr Alastair D W Fothergill OBE, who attended St. Cuthbert’s Society to study Zoology in 1983, has been honoured for services to film.

Mr Fothergill joined the BBC Natural History Unit after University and has worked on many of their programmes, eventually becoming head of that unit. He then became Series Producer for The Blue Planet (2001) and Planet Earth (2006) and co-directed their associated feature films Deep Blue and Earth. In November 2012 he left the BBC to set up his own production company, Silverback Films.

Mrs Valerie J Hepworth BEM, who attended Graduate Society to study Education in 1973, has been honoured for services to the Yorkshire Gardens Trust and conservation.

Mr Carl S P Hunter OBE, who attended Hatfield College to study Arts Combined in 1984, has been honoured for services to business and international trade.

Mr Anthony H G Laithwaite CBE, who attended Hatfield College to study Geography in 1968, has been honoured for services to the UK and Global Wine Industry.

Mr Richard Ovenden OBE, who attended St. Chad’s College to study Economic/ Modern History in 1985, has been honoured for services to libraries and archives.

Mr Ovenden is currently the 25th Librarian of Bodleian Libraries at Oxford University. He has also worked at Durham University Library, the House of Lords Library, the National Library of Scotland and the University of Edinburgh. He also holds a Professorial Fellowship at Balliol College, Oxford.

Mr Hugh G Pearman MBE, who attended St. Chad’s College to study English Language and Literature in 1977, has been honoured for services to architecture.

Mr Peter H Ransom MBE, who attended Grey College to study Natural Sciences in 1976, has been honoured for voluntary services to mathematics education.

Mr David J R Strang CBE, who attended St. Chad’s College to study Engineering in 1980, has been honoured for services to law and order.

Dame Sara J Thornton DBE, who attended Trevelyan College to study Philosophy & Politics in 1984, has been honoured for services to policing as previous Chief Constable of the Thames Valley police and now Chair of the National Police Chiefs’ Council.

Photograph by