Durham University ranked 2nd in student accommodation survey

Durham University has been ranked second in a list of the best student accommodation in the UK.

17,929 students took part in the survey via the website StudentCrowd, which compiled the results to release a list of the top twenty universities.

Students were asked to choose a rating of between one and five on several factors, including; location, cleanliness, social spaces, social experience, WiFi and hall management.

Loughborough University was crowned first overall in the list, while the University of St Andrews trailed Durham as third best in the country, and the only Scottish university to make the top twenty.

The University of Reading placed last on the league table.

The results come at a time of significant controversy for Durham University regarding its student accommodation. In October this year, the University announced that it would raise annual college residence fees by 3.5% to £7,672 next year in order to meet rising staff, building and utility costs.

The results come at a time of significant controversy for Durham University regarding its student accommodation.

The decision was met by backlash from the student community, who held a protest on Palace Green as part of the Ripped Off campaign, the move was also rejected in a vote by the local parish council.

Students also complained that the increase in costs did not reflect the poor standard of some university accommodation, with claims of mould, rat infestations and dilapidated buildings.

A Palatinate survey in February found that only one in ten Durham students would describe college halls as value for money.

Owen Adams, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience), said: “We continue to invest in our Colleges to offer an excellent student experience.

“Recent examples of refurbishment projects include a £5 million redevelopment of accommodation and the social space at Hatfield College, and there are more major investment works planned over the coming months and years.”

Photograph: John Hamilton from Creative Commons via Flickr