Durham researchers top in UK for space science and geography

Research produced by four Durham professors has been named the best in the UK this week. Geographer Harriet Bulkeley and Cosmologists Carlos Frenk, Adrian Jenkins and Tom Theuns were recognised by the Clarivate Highly Cited Researchers 2020 list from the Web of Science Group. 

The award focuses on the quality and influence of research produced. It also placed Durham third in Europe and joint seventh in the world for the strength of the research that was produced. 

Clarivate, as listed on their website, is a “global leader in providing trusted insights and analytics to accelerate the pace of innovation. Our vision is to improve the way the world creates, protects and advances innovation.” The annual Clarivate list identifies scientists and social scientists who have published research papers which can be classes in the top 1% in their field in the Web of Science citation index. 

An official statement by Durham University in relation to the results said it “demonstrates the significant influence that Durham research has among fellow academics worldwide”. 

Professor Bulkeley co-ordinates the European NATURVATION project and is a member of the REINVENT project. The latter aims to investigate climate solution and decarbonisation schemes in urban areas and industry. 

Professor Ogden is a Professor of Fundamental Physics and former director of The Institute or Computational Cosmology (ICC). He is one of the world’s foremost researchers behind the theory of cold dark matter. 

The results are the latest in a string of impressive outcomes for Durham departments this year, including Arts and Humanities now being ranked 19th in the world.