Durham fails to secure place in University Challenge semi-finals

Durham University has lost tonight’s quarter-finals match of University Challenge against Imperial College, London, Scoring 100 to Imperial College’s 200. Their loss means Durham will not go through to the series’ semi-finals, ending their run in this year’s competition. 

Durham got off to a strong start, answering questions on history, physics and philosophy, but struggled later on in the match when faced with questions about Shakespeare and in the picture round where the team was asked to name artists, giving Imperial College their lead. 

This is the third year in a row where Durham has failed to make to the competition’s semi-finals.

Durham’s team is made up of Harry Regan (Liberal Arts, St John’s College), Thomas Banbury (History, Van Mildert College), Thomas Wilkening (Biosciences, Van Mildert College) and team captain Holly Parkinson (Physics, Van Mildert College). 

The Durham team lost the previous quarter-final match, scoring 75 points to Balliol College, Oxford’s 175. This was Durham’s first loss of the series, which began in July. 

However, during the course of the series they have seen off competition from Edinburgh University, Leicester University, and Strathclyde University.

For the past two years, Durham has been defeated at the semi-finals stage, losing to Edinburgh University in 2019 and Corpus Christi, Cambridge in 2020.

Since it first aired in 1962, University Challenge has been won by Durham twice – first in 1977, and again in 2000.

Image: BBC