Durham loses quarter-finals match of University Challenge

Durham University has lost tonight’s episode of University Challenge against Balliol College, Oxford, scoring 75 points to Oxford’s 175. Their loss means that Durham must win one more match to secure a place in this year’s University Challenge semi-final.

Durham answered questions relating to photography, genetics and waterfalls, but struggled to score points against Balliol College, Oxford who scored strongly on questions relating to mathematical theorems and American abolitionists, among other things. 

Oxford’s win against Durham means the college will play against Warwick University in the semi-finals.

Tonight’s episode was Durham’s first loss of the series.

Tonight’s episode was Durham’s first loss of the series, which began in July.

Durham’s team is made up of Harry Regan (Liberal Arts, St John’s College), Thomas Banbury (History, Van Mildert College), Thomas Wilkening (Biosciences, Van Mildert College) and team captain Holly Parkinson (Physics, Van Mildert College). 

The Durham team previously saw off competition from Edinburgh University as well as Leicester University. In the last round, Durham won against the Strathclyde University team, scoring 155 to Strathclyde’s 115. 

For the past two years, Durham has been defeated at the semi-finals stage, losing to Edinburgh University in 2019 and Corpus Christi, Cambridge in 2020.

Since it first aired in 1962, University Challenge has been won by Durham twice – first in 1977, and again in 2000.

Image: BBC