Parish Council launches anti-social behaviour logging tool in collaboration with Durham SU

The City of Durham Parish Council has launched a new online tool for residents to log incidents of anti-social behaviour (ASB), in collaboration with Durham Students’ Union. 

The tool – known as PinPoint – can be used to log instances of late-night noise disturbance and other forms of anti-social behaviour in the city centre, and allows residents to rate the impact an incident of anti-social behaviour has had on them. 

However, the Parish Council has stressed that “residents will not be formally reporting the incident to any statutory body such as the police or the emergency services”, and that it should not replace a resident calling 999 or 101. 

In a statement, the Parish Council said PinPoint – which can be accessed from the Parish Council’s website – has been designed so that they “can more effectively tackle and challenge” anti-social behaviour.

Anti-social behaviour has been an ongoing problem faced by the Parish Council. Last year, a panel was organised, including DSU President, Kate McIntosh, and was attended by Durham Pro-Vice Chancellor, Jeremy Cook, to discuss potential solutions to Durham City’s problem with anti-social behaviour, including the possibility of recruiting student community wardens. 

“This Parish Council is putting the victims of ASB first and allowing us to respond to these issues.”

Victoria Ashfield, Chair of the City of Durham Parish Council Environment Committee

Victoria Ashfield, who is the Chair of the City of Durham Parish Council Environment Committee, said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership with Durham Students’ Union on the creation of this new tool. Late night noise disturbance in particular is a regular source of complaints from our residents.”

She added that the new tool will allow “the Parish Council and other bodies involved in the anti-social behaviour task force to make more informed decisions on where resources need to be targeted in Durham City to tackle anti-social behaviour once and for all.”

Image: David Gray via Flickr

One thought on “Parish Council launches anti-social behaviour logging tool in collaboration with Durham SU

• Great news some partnership working to tackle the anti social behaviour