Bill Bryson Library to open on weekends

The Bill Bryson Library will re-open at weekends for students and staff from Saturday 6th March. The Library will be open from 1pm-5:30pm on Saturday and Sunday.

The Bill Bryson was previously only open from Monday-Friday between 9am-8pm. The Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC) is open seven days a week from 9am-8pm. 72 additional study spaces were recently added to the ground floor of the TLC.

Study spaces in the Hotel Indigo, Elvet Riverside, and Elvet Hill House, as well as Leazes Road Library, will remain closed.

Pre-booked study spaces and Browse and Borrow timeslots are available for students and staff to book through the Space Bookings system, which are released at 6:30pm every day. 

Students can book up to ten study space slots a week – five slots per week in the Bill Bryson and five slots per week in the TLC – although current University guidance states that study space can be used for “essential use only”.

The University announced last month that it will issue penalties for study space users who regularly do not use their booked slot.

Ths came after it was revealed that 25% of bookings for study spaces at the University have been wasted since the beginning of January. 

Face coverings are required, except for those exempt, at all times when using study spaces.

Image: Durham University