PalatiDates: “I think she’s a lot like me”

Abi from John Snow and Thomas from Hatfield, Physics and Engineering students meet for a blind date at Vennels.

Abi on Thomas

What were your first impressions of your date?

He was very prepared for the weather in a bright yellow coat! Friendly and easy-going.

What did you talk about?

A good range of things. Cooking, Dr Martens, house sharing experiences, and a range of different societies like beekeeping, beer pong and hill walking, the latter of which we had in common. One of the conversations that stood out for me was about an AC/DC-playing cellist duo! Who I will have to look up.

How would they describe you?

Chatty and smiley — probably nervous!

How would you describe them?

Sweet and interesting to talk to.

Most awkward moment?

Probably when we were both stood outside different entrances to the cafe and I had to run after him awkwardly to introduce myself!

Which Durham college would you place them in and why?

Maybe Chad’s — somewhere with a smaller community and a relaxed atmosphere.

If they were a Durham night out, which would they be?

An evening at the pub, definitely! Thomas mentioned Ye Old Elm Tree.

What were you hoping for? Did they deliver on your expectations?

I was hoping to meet someone I could get along with, get to know well and to just see where it goes after a few dates. Thomas and I had lots of similar interests and the conversation flowed well, which was really good.

If you could change one thing about the experience, what would it be?

I wish I didn’t have such an awful cold – then talking would’ve been much easier!

Would you introduce them to your friends or family?

Sure.

Would you like to see them again?

I’d say so. It would be good to see if we connected romantically a bit more if we spent further time together.

Marks out of 10?

7

Thomas on Abi

She had a pretty nice sense of fashion, at least to me anyway, and she was surprisingly chatty and good at kicking the conversation off!

What did you talk about?

All sorts really; mainly societies, music, our degrees and bitching about random stuff to each other.

How would they describe you?

Someone who tries too many societies for their own good and probably shouldn’t be studying their degree.

How would you describe them?

Very passionate about her degree and very involved in her societies, the sort to put her all into everything she does. I think she’s a lot like me in that we both prefer the slower side of life — nature walks, chilling alone to music.

Most awkward moment?

Probably awkwardly walking back and forth at the beginning trying to find each other.

She gave me strong Cuth’s vibes though I’m not quite sure why – perhaps I just associate Cuth’s with the outdoorsy type because of my friends from Hillwalking.

Would you introduce them to your friends?

Yes, I think she’s pretty much what my friends imagine my type is.

A few drinks at Ye Old Elm Tree, a wholesome sweet experience to contrast the normal uni rat race.

I actually went on an awkward date with another girl called Abi a few weeks ago, so I was just relieved that it wasn’t her and that I didn’t have to go through that again!

Would you like to see them again?

Yes, I think we discussed it during the date itself.

Marks out of 10?

7

Interested in a PalatiDate? Click here to fill out our form or email the PalatiDates team at palatidates@palatinate.org.uk

Support Palatinate