Durham beat Nottingham convincingly in lacrosse opener

Durham University men’s lacrosse kicked off their season with a convincing victory over Nottingham at Maiden Castle.

Sam Hewitt and Timothy John both scored four goals as Durham dominated. The hosts looked in good form and never looked in any threat of losing the game.

Durham defended sturdily throughout, quickly snuffing out any Nottingham attacks with their greater pace and strength.

Nottingham did break through at the beginning of the second half however, taking advantage of a rare lapse in defence from the home team to score their solitary goal.

But it mattered little as Durham were already 6-0 up.

Colin Rogan opened the scoring for Durham after a long period of possession, before Sam Hewitt opened his account with a fine individual effort, beating several Notts defenders before converting.

Durham kept possession for long periods of the game, controlling the tempo of the game and probing the Nottingham defence.

But they really came into their own late in the game, as the visitors tired and Durham scored five goals in the final quarter, three of them coming from Timothy John.

It was an impressive display from Durham, who will be hoping to win the double of league and cup champions, as they have for the last three years.