Team Durham fare well in opening round of BUCS fixtures

bucs-logo1 (1)By

On the whole, it was a successful start to the season for the majority of Durham teams. Whether at Maiden Castle or another part of the country, most of the teams picked up valuable points to kick-off their season in style.

The women’s hockey 1st XI overcame a tough Nottingham 1st side 2-0, whilst their male counterparts also defeated Nottingham, this time 3-0. The men’s 2nd team came away with a battling 2-2 draw with Leeds Beckett’s 1st team, the exact same result the women’s 2nd team got against the same opposition. The men’s 3rd team also picked up a draw in West Yorkshire, this time 1-1 with Leeds 2nd XI.  Special mention should go to the women’s 5th hockey, who thrashed Leeds 8th XI 0-12 (twelve).

Durham’s lacrosse teams picked up where they left off from last season, with both men’s and women’s 1st sides picking up resounding victories. The women beat Nottingham 1st 22-2, whilst the men beat opponents from the same university 11-1. The women’s 2nd team thrashed Manchester 2nds 24-0, and the men’s 2nd team beat their counterparts from the 3rd team 5-0.

It was a disappointing start to the season however for the men’s football and rugby 1st sides, both tasting defeat last week. The footballers lost 3-0 away at Stirling, whilst the rugby team experienced a shock 35-22 defeat at Northumbria. The women fared much better however, with the rugby 1st XV beating Leeds Beckett 1st XV 17-5, whilst the football 1st XI also had a successful trip to Leeds, beating the newly-named university 5-2.

The men’s 2nd XV picked up a very impressive victory, defeating York’s 1st team away 24-12.  The 3rd and 4th teams also had a successful days, beating Liverpool 1st 23-15 and Northumbria 3rd XV 36-19 respectively.

The men’s football 2nd XI came away from York with a 3-1 victory after beating their 2nd team whereas the women’s 2nd team held Leeds Beckett 2nd XI to a 2-2 draw to pick up a valuable away point. The women’s 3rd team will be disappointed with their 3-1 away defeat against Huddersfield 1st team.

The women’s tennis 1st side also got off to a good start to the season, thrashing a strong Nottingham team 12-0. The men’s 1sts struggled however, losing 8-4 away to Leeds Beckett. The men’s 2nd team faced up against Durham 3rds and avoided any embarrassment by winning 10-2. The 4ths beat Newcastle’s 2nd team 12-0, and the 5ths thrashed Teeside 2nds by the same margin.

Apart from the 1st team, Durham’s women fared less well in the tennis. The 2nds lost 12-0 away to Loughborough’s 1st team, but the 3rds managed a 6-6 draw against Leeds 1st team.

Both male and female volleyball 1st teams had something to celebrate on Wednesday night after they both beat their respective Edinburgh sides 3-0 at home.

The women’s basketball 1st team kicked off their season with a win, defeating Northumbria 1st team 74-66. The men disappointingly lost against the same opponents, losing 74-85.

The women’s fencing 1st team also struggled, losing 135-91 against a very impressive St Andrews outfit. The men pulled off an impressive victory north of the border, however, beating the men’s St Andrews team 132-100.

It was a similarly mixed performance from the badminton teams. The men’s 1st team thrashed Keele at home 8-0, whereas the women lost 6-2 at home to Nottingham.

It was a story of narrow losses for Durham in the netball. The 1st team lost 37-42 to Northumbria 2nd team, and whilst the Durham 2nd VII agonisingly lost 29-28 to Northumbria’s 3rd side.

It was a convincing start to the season for the squash teams. The men’s 1st team beat the visiting Manchester Metropolitan 1st team 4-1. The women’s 1st side faced the always difficult task of facing up against their teammates from Durham’s 2nd team, but won convincingly 4-0.

A similar task awaited the table tennis teams, the men’s firsts overcoming the seconds 13-4. The women’s 2nd team had to play against Durham’s 3rd side, but defeated them 5-0.

Photograph: