Terrific BUCS Wednesday sees Durham steer clear of Loughborough

Durham topped the table 170 points clear of nearest rivals Loughborough after a week of brilliant results.

The women’s rugby team had perhaps the most emphatic victory – an away thrashing of Birmingham 0-113. The men’s 1st team had a tougher task at home to Newcastle, only securing a 15-12 victory with a last minute try. The men’s 2nd XV stayed top of the Premiership B by beating second-placed Nottingham Trent 1sts.

It was also a successful week for the footballers. The women stayed top of the Premiership with a 1-0 win over a strong Birmingham side, and the men earned a very solid 3-1 away win at Sheffield Hallam. In the cup, the men’s 2nds won on penalties against Leeds Trinity 1st team, and the women’s 2nds recorded their second 10-0 victory in a row, this time over Teeside University 1st XI.

The women’s and men’s hockey 1st teams both held on to second place in their respective Premier Leagues, by recording wins against Leeds. The women won 3-0 whilst the men outclassed their opposition to come away 5-0 victors. The women’s 2nds defeated Newcastle 1sts in a very impressive victory, whilst the men’s 2nds earned a respectable 0-0 draw with Sheffield Hallam. The women’s 3rd team dominated their cup match with York 2nds, coming away with a 9-0 victory. The 4th team beat Hull 1st XI away 2-0 and the women’s 5th team travelled to Bangor to play their 1st XI and came away with a victory on penalty flicks.

There was a rare scare for the men’s lacrosse – they were losing 5-3 at half team to Leeds Beckett and looking at the prospect of a first defeat in five years.  They managed to turn it around however to maintain their unbeaten streak by winning 10-5. The women’s 1st team recorded a comfortable 18-1 victory against Leeds, whilst the 2nds won 12-3 against York 1sts.

The women’s basketball team moved to within touching distance of Loughborough, who top the Premier North, by thrashing Leeds Beckett 109-27. The men secured their first victory of the season in a narrow 72-70 win over the same opposition.

The men’s and women’s volleyball teams both put in great performances against the powerhouse of university volleyball, Northumbria, but lost out narrowly. Both sides will look to join Northumbria in the final at the end of the season.

It was a very successful week for Durham tennis. The men’s 1st team thrashed Stirling 2nd team 12-0, and the women stayed top of their Premiership with a 10-2 win over Leeds Beckett. The women’s 2nd team moved above Loughborough 2nds in the Premier North after beating them 10-2. The men’s 2nd team thrashed Sheffield 1sts 12-0 to stay top of the Northern 1A Premier.

The netball 1st team’s promotion campaign gained momentum after beating Edge Hill 67-30, whilst the men’s badminton also moved closer to Premier League with a 6-2 win against Leeds Beckett 2nds.

The men’s squash team stayed top of the league despite narrowly losing out to Newcastle 3-2, whilst the women lost out to a strong Newcastle 1st side 4-0.

All of Durham’s teams will now look to consolidate their strong start to the season and attempt to ward off the challenges of Loughborough and stay top of the table.