60007 Sir Nigel Gresley

County Durham 8th worst area in the UK for crime

Sun Online has conducted an analysis of crime based on Home Office data, revealing Durham as being in the top 10 dangerous areas out of a total of 42.

The survey reflects an increase of crime along ‘county lines’ as criminal groups move out of the big cities in to areas which were once considered the most peaceful. This is causing an increase of drug dealing and violence in particular.

The figures are based on the number of crime victims per 1,000 people in each area. In Durham, this figure is 84.9 victims.

A different ranking by Churchill Security Limited in August 2018 ranked Durham as the seventh most dangerous county. This review found that County Durham had the second highest rate of criminal damage and arson offences in the country. Durham had the joint third violent crime rate with Greater Manchester and the fifth highest rate of sexual offences.

The Complete University Guide released a 2018 crime table which compiled crime rates per 1,000 residents in each university city. In this table, universities in London, Bradford and Manchester were marked among the top five most dangerous university cities. Durham was the 43rd most dangerous, with 50.3 victims of crime per 1,000 people surveyed.

Home Office data reveals Kent is now the most dangerous area for violent crime in the UK. Youth crime in the county nearly doubled last year and knife crime soared by more than 40%.

The other four areas in the top five are Greater Manchester, Cleveland, South Yorkshire and Northumbria; making the north of England the more dangerous end of the country to live.

The safest counties were identified in this report as Lincolnshire, Gloucestershire, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire and Dyfed-Powys. The latter, in south Wales, sees just 43.1 victims of crime per 1,000 people.

Surprisingly, London is 10th on the list, although you are twice as likely to be robbed in the capital than you are in almost any other area in the country.

A lack of police officers on the streets, partly due to budget cuts, has been blamed for this increase in crime across the UK.

Photograph: John Whitehouse via Flickr

3 thoughts on “County Durham 8th worst area in the UK for crime

• Thanks for this post. It proves very informative for me. Great post to read.

If you are looking for the top security companies in London that provide its customer with remarkable security services across the UK.check out this site for security services security companies

If you are looking for the top security companies in London that provide its customer with remarkable security services across the UK.

• It proves very informative for me. Great post to read.