DUGTC stars impress at Rushmoor

Durham University Gymnastics Club have been literally jumping with joy on account of their recent success. Competing at the Gymnastics Championships on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th February, the Palatinates 22 man team had some notably high overall place finishes in both the men and women’s group, which meant they took some silverware home with them.

The Championships format saw athletes compete across a variety of grades and routines. In the men’s division, Matthew Griffiths was the standout performer. In the Grade 3 tier which had over 35 competitors and was the success of the day. Griffiths won 1st place on vault and 2nd on floor. The combination of these exemplary displays saw him take a well-deserved 2nd place overall on the day for his tier, while also bringing home some silverware for Team Durham.

In the women’s team, Billie Mackenzie finished as Durham’s highest ranked female athlete. Competing in the Grade 2 tier with over 70 competitors. Mackenzie won first place in the beam. Strong performances in the other disciplines ensured that she secured a 4th place overall in her tier. Libby Rose was also another gymnast who excelled in the Grade 2 division, finishing close behind Mackenzie in 6th place overall and with an impressive a 3rd placing on vault.

In the Grade 3 tier, four was the magic number for Yolande Barker. In the floor and vault events, Barker finished 4th, meaning that her eventual 4th place finish overall came as no surprise. Overall, Jennifer Crawford, Emily Ward and Yolande Baker all finished in the top 20 within their tier to round off.

The results at the Gymnastics Championships demonstrated the growing strength of Team Durham Gymnastics. Competing in tough groups and against extremely talented athletes, the Palatinates showed that they have the skill to compete.

Photograph: Team Durham Gymnastics Club