College Varsity: four-goal Lucas the hero for Van Mildert

College Varsity Women's Football

Van Mildert strolled to a comfortable 4-0 victory over York college Langwith, with Jodie Lucas scoring all four goals for the Durham college. Mildert never looked troubled by York and completely outclassed their opposition with superior link up play and finishing.

To begin with, both teams seemed evenly matched. As a result, the game was a turgid affair for much of the first half as both sides were proving difficult to break down. Mildert were playing the neater football as Langwith seemed quite content to absorb the pressure. Near the end of the first half, the York goalkeeper was forced to make a good save from a fierce long-range effort.

The second half saw the game markedly improve as a spectacle. Durham now begun to produce an end product to complement their lengthy spells of possession. First, a swift counter attacking move saw Mildert race up the pitch. Lucas had a low shot well saved by the keeper before slotting the rebound against the crossbar. It was clear that Durham were looking more likely to make the breakthrough.

This was proven a few minutes later. Lucas latched onto a precise through ball and made no mistake with the finish, slotting the ball into the bottom left hand corner, to put the Durham side ahead. This proved to be the opening of the floodgates and York’s stubborn resistance was broken. A second goal for Lucas and Mildert followed soon after, with another tidy finish, similar to her first of the game.

York continued to battle on but it proved to be in vain. The game was effectively over as a contest when Lucas secured her hat trick. The third goal was the pick of the bunch. Some lovely passing down the left wing threw the York defence into chaos. A through ball was chipped into the area and the ever-alive Lucas latched onto it. In that position, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

In the final few minutes, the striker added a fourth to round off a highly impressive individual performance. Mildert, too, had been exceptional as a team. A resounding victory, which gave York a harsh lesson as to the quality of women’s college football in Durham.

Photograph: