College Varsity: Grey secure valuable draw in mixed squash

Grey College’s Mixed Squash side drew with York’s Alcuin College after some challenging and very close games.

Ranking high in the League Table, Grey Squash showcased their skills in front of an unprecedented crowd.

College Varsity Squash

Grey were marginally beaten in their first few games, but the tightness of each tie was reflected in the scorelines. Ellie Johnson and Molly Cooper, ranked third and fourth for the women, each won a match despite being defeated.

Grey did not lose determination, however, and Will Parr, ranked third for the men, raised morale in the camp with a comfortable win.

York’s Alcuin College won the following two games, but nevertheless Grey performed well, fighting up until the last point. Lorna Sokolowski, the women’s top seeded player, was particularly strong, winning one match 15-11, and marginally losing the following two: 14-15, and 11-15.  Francesca Bull, Women’s Captain and ranked second, was defeated 15-10 followed by a close 15-13.

With his strong serves, Timmy Avni, ranked fourth for the men, secured victory in his matches, winning 15-9 and 15-11, whilst Russell Lamb, ranked second for the men, followed in his footsteps, winning 15-14 and 15-9, ensuring that Grey was only one game away from a draw and 2.5 points for Durham.

Despite the heavy pressure, Ben Frei, ranked first for the men, performed well and showed his class. A 15-13 win and a superb 15-1 drubbing of his opposite number left the final score at 4-4.

Frei spoke afterwards, admitting that a draw was the right result:

“After a very enjoyable afternoon of high quality squash, I had a very hard fought game to seal the draw, which I think Grey deserved for their determination and valour shown on court throughout the afternoon.”

One of only two draws across the entire day, Frei’s late heroics showed how little there had been between the two sides and meant that the sides shared the spoils.

Photograph: James Boobier