Current undergraduates and 2016 starters to retain £9,000 tuition fee

Current undergraduates and students beginning their studies at Durham University in the 2016-17 academic year will retain the £9,000 tuition fee levy, Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor, wrote in an email to students this morning

Professor Corbridge wrote in the email that he “would like to apologise to Durham students for the way that news broke two weeks ago about the University’s intention to charge Home and EU undergraduate students joining Durham in 2017-18 a fee of £9,250 for that academic year.”

“There is a statement on our website which explains why Durham took this decision earlier in the cycle than some other universities—we are committed to letting prospective students know exactly where they stand,” Professor Corbridge wrote.

“But I recognize that communication with our staff and students should have been more direct and that we should have better engaged our elected student leaders,” citing Alice Dee, President of Durham Students’ Union, and the College Common Room Presidents.

Professor Corbridge said that the University Council has “since determined that Home and EU undergraduate students already at Durham or entering in 2016 will continue to pay fees at £9,000.”

“The University will also continue to ensure that the fees paid by Durham students help us deliver accessible, transformative, and enabling education and a wider student experience which is truly outstanding,” he wrote.

The email also drew attention to the University’s development of its new ten-year strategy, which includes the plans to repurpose Queen’s Campus “partly” as an International Foundation College. As part of these plans, the University Council agreed to transfer the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health to Newcastle University in July.

“These decisions are significant ones for our University and our region and were not taken lightly. As students, your continuing input into the process of developing the strategy is much appreciated,” Professor Corbridge said.

[blockquote author=”” pull=”normal”]These decisions are significant ones for our University and our region and were not taken lightly. As students, your continuing input into the process of developing the strategy is much appreciated.[/blockquote]

“The core Academic Strategy was approved by Council in July and we expect to launch the full University Strategy in Epiphany Term 2017.”

Photograph: Durham University