Professor Stuart Corbridge takes up role as Vice Chancellor

SCofficialsmallwebBy

Professor Stuart Corbridge has taken up his role as Durham University’s 24th Vice Chancellor and Warden today.

Joining from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), where he served as Deputy Director and Provost, Professor Corbridge offered his thanks to everyone for his welcome at Durham in an email sent to students this morning.

“I am sure that my diary will soon be full of college formals, lectures, concerts, theatrical performances and sports events, and other opportunities to observe – and support – our richly talented student body,” Professor Corbridge wrote.

Professor Corbridge also thanked Professor Ray Hudson, who has been serving as Acting Vice Chancellor since October 2014. Professor Hudson will now return to his role as Deputy Vice Chancellor.

Professor Corbridge wrote of his attraction to Durham, writing: “I know that Durham is a very special university. As well as being a world top 100 university with an impressive research portfolio and excellent teaching standards, our staff, students, colleges, departments, estate, and traditions all combine to make this a wonderful place to study, work and live.

“At the same time, it is clear that I am joining Durham at a time of especially rapid change in the higher education sector, both nationally and globally. Going forward there will be challenges for us to work through together.

“We all have a contribution to make to university life – staff and students alike – and you can be assured that I will work with you to achieve the very best for our University and to address the challenges we will undoubtedly face.

“I am very much looking forward to meeting the talented and dedicated staff and students as well as the wider University community. I invite them to join me in building on Durham’s success and to work together in the next exciting stage of the University’s development,” Professor Corbridge said.

Chair of Durham University Council, Robert Gillespie, said that “Professor Corbridge is an exceptional individual who has good depth and breadth of leadership and management experience as well as having made a significant contribution to his academic area through his own fieldwork and publications.

“I have every confidence that he is the right person to lead the University forward and I look forward to working with him.”

Alongside an impressive research portfolio and extensive leadership experience, Professor Corbridge has held roles at number of universities, including the University of Cambridge and Syracuse University in New York.

Photograph: Durham University