Durham ranked 5th in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016

Palatine-CentreBy  

Durham University has been ranked as the UK’s fifth best university, according to The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide for 2016.

Up one place from sixth last year, the Good University Guide ranking follows Durham’s rise by 31 places to 61st in the global QS World University Rankings for 2015/16.

The University has also been shortlisted for The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year award for 2016.

The Good University Guide measures universities across the UK based on a number of indicators that include student satisfaction with teaching quality and their wider university experience, research quality, graduate prospects, entrance qualifications held by new students, degree results achieved, student/staff ratios, service and facilities spend, and degree completion rates.

Durham was ranked eighth for its graduate prospects in the UK, having secured 31st globally for graduate reputation among employers as part of the QS World University Rankings.

Professor Ray Hudson, Deputy Vice Chancellor, said: “We are extremely proud to have secured a top five position in this league table and to have been shortlisted for The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year award 2016.

“This success, following our significant rise in the recent QS World University Rankings, once again demonstrates the strength of the innovative research-led education that we provide.

“In addition, our distinctive student experience enables our students to develop the key skills valued by top employers, such as leadership, critical thinking and entrepreneurship, making our graduates among the most sought after in the world.”

Durham was also ranked fifth in the Complete University Guide 2016 in April.

Photograph: Rose Innes and Wikimedia Commons