Cooking during Covid: Part 2

As we continue further into this period of home isolation, it is important to remember to eat well. After a few days, it is easy to rely on the junk food that should be kept in case the apocalypse actually falls upon us, because CupNoodle will probably outlive the cockroaches. As the period continues for me, I have begun to increase the level difficulty in my recipes to keep it interesting. Here are two healthy, hearty, and yummy recipes to try out and adore.

Avgolemono: Greek Lemon Chicken Soup [GF]

Serves 6. This hearty soup was taught to me from Greek family friends and is an absolute favourite of mine when I am ill.

Ingredients:

• Olive oil
  • ½ cup White onion, chopped
  • 1 cup Carrots, cubed
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 cups of low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup of rice
  • 2 boneless chicken breast pieces
  • Optional: 2 bay leaves
  • ½ lemon juice, use other half for taste
  • 2 large eggs
  • Oregano
  • Parsley

Method:

1. In a heavy pot, saute onion, carrots, and garlic in olive oil.
  2. After a couple of minutes, place the chicken breasts down in the pot, and cook on each side for a couple of minutes.
  3. Add chicken broth, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then put on simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Remove chicken and shred. Then place shredded chicken back into the pot. Remove Bay Leaves.
  5. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice with eggs. Add one ladle worth of broth to the bowl and continue to whisk. Place mixture in pot.
  6. Cook for about five minutes more, then add parsley. Serve.

Blackened Shrimp Quesadillas

For those who are really looking to use cooking as a pastime, this recipe is assured to challenge you, while also expanding your taste pallet. This recipe makes much more than a single quesadilla, so it’s perfect to make if you are stuck inside with your family. But, if you want to make a single quesadilla amount, you just need a ⅕ of everything below.

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • Olive Oil
  • Lime
  • Fresh Coriander
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ lbs of shrimp uncooked and peeled (if using frozen, thaw first)
  • Tortillas
  • Mozzarella and cheddar cheese
  • Tomato Salsa (1 part diced tomato, ½ part diced onion, ½ part fresh coriander, lime juice-mix together)
  • Butter

Method:

1. In a bowl, mix together all the dry spices and sugar. Mix shrimp into it and spread evenly. Leave to marinate for 30 min.
  2. Heat olive oil on medium-high in the skillet. Place shrimp in a single layer on the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2. Add minced garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds. Place shrimp on a plate on the side.
  3. In a clean skillet, heat a small amount of butter, and place the tortilla down. Sprinkle enough cheese combo on the tortilla to cover it. Then place salsa, up to 5 shrimp pieces, and squeeze lime on top. Then sprinkle more cheese on top and place a second tortilla on top.
  4. Brush a small amount of melted butter on the top tortilla. Using a spatula, press down on the tortilla, and then flip the quesadilla, once bottom cheese has started to melt.
  5. Repeat until all the shrimp is in a quesadilla.

Note: I like to dip this in soured cream. Also these can easily be made into tacos, by not melting them into quesadillas.

Image: Jasmin Sessler via Unsplash