City of Culture prize money proposed to reopen Durham’s DLI Museum

MPs in County Durham have proposed that the £125,000 awarded to Durham as runner-up in the City of Culture competition should be used to reopen the Durham Light Infantry (DLI) Museum.

County Durham MPs Richard Holden, Dehenna Davison, and Paul Howell have written to the council to request that the prize money be used to reopen the Museum. In doing so, the MPs would be bringing to fruition a “significant and sustained campaign” for the museum’s reopening that began after its closure in 2016.

“Re-opening the DLI museum would not just restore an important local cultural centre (…) but also surely assist in County Durham’s bid for 2029”

In their proposal, the MPs wrote that “re-opening the DLI museum would not just restore an important local cultural centre that those from our county and beyond can enjoy but also surely assist in County Durham’s bid for 2029”.

North West Durham MP, Richard Holden, stated that the County’s City of Culture bid “allowed many projects to be brought forward and plans developed – work that will not be wasted – as well as raising the profile of County Durham as a tourism and cultural destination”.

Recognising the claim to the prize money that other organisations could make, Holden stated, “Of course, I will continue to lead and champion bids for our County in the future: from improving local hospitals to transport to levelling up our towns and villages.”

Durham County Council responded positively to the MPs’ letter. Councillor Amanda Hopgood said that they would be working to “deliver a pioneering cultural programme for the county” which would “focus on developing new events and key cultural attractions across the county and includes plans to bring the former Durham Light Infantry Museum and Art Gallery back into use as an exhibition centre, gallery and café.”

In March the Council first discussed concrete plans to reopen and refurbish the Museum, which would double the floor space and add a cafe.

Image: Durham County Council