Durham University Business School awarded a five-year EQUIS re-accreditation

Durham University Business School (DUBS) has received a five-year extension to its accreditation from EQUIS, a globally acclaimed institutional accreditation system for higher education business and management schools. The decision was made after an assessment made by EQUIS in March 2022.

The extension is DUBS’ second one, following their first re-accreditation in 2017. This means that EQUIS has judged DUBS to have upheld their high standards of education witnessed in previous years. Less than 21 schools in the UK, and less than 55 in the rest of Europe, have achieved the five years accreditation status at all.

The EQUIS Peer Review Team identified several areas in which DUBS exceeded the required standards, such as the embedding of Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability across its programme portfolio; the provision of student support and counselling services; the quality and internationalisation of faculty members; and the impact of research. The Peer Review Team also commended the School’s outreach to the wider community.

“This comes at an exciting time for Durham where we are looking to enhance our strengths as a leading University”

Professor karen o’brien

EQUIS accreditation benchmarks schools against international standards in ten areas: “governance, programmes, students, faculty, research, internationalisation, ethics, responsibility and sustainability, and engagement with the world of practice.” The assessment covers all the activities of the school, including its “degree and non-degree programmes, knowledge generation, and contribution to the community.”

Professor Kieran Fernandes, Interim Executive Dean of DUBS, told the university that “The Business School’s five-year EQUIS re-accreditation is testimony to our position as a leading international business school, with excellence across our key strategic areas of research, education and student experience.”

Professor Karen O’Brien, Vice-Chancellor and Warden at Durham University, said the re-accreditation was a “wonderful achievement and a credit to all our colleagues in the Business School”. Professor O’Brien also stated that “This comes at an exciting time for Durham where we are looking to enhance our strengths as a leading University renowned for the excellence and impact of its research, the quality of its education and student support, and the richness of its student experience.”

Image Credit: Durham University