Human remains discovered in Durham Market Place by workers fixing a power cut

Engineers who were working to fix a power cut in Durham City on the night of 25th July has to temporarily stop work after they discovered human remains at the site they were working on.

Employees from Northern Powergrid found the remains near St Nicholas’ Church in Durham’s Market Place. Upon the discovery, repair work had to stop while officers from Durham Constabulary attended the scene.

A spokesperson for Durham Constabulary told ITV that “Several fragments of bone, including a section of the jawbone, were found by power workers excavating a site close to St Nicholas’ Church.

“Excavation was halted while the fragments were removed for forensic examination. Officers are now satisfied that the remains are human, but have also established evidence to indicate they are historic”.

Our team is working on site in partnership with…Durham University to ensure any historic bones are carefully removed

Northern Powergrid spokesperson

The remains were found while workers from Northern Powergrid attempted to restore power supplies to eight customers in Market Place after an underground cable fault caused the power cut.

A spokesperson for Northern Powergrid said that “Repairs restarted as soon as we were cleared to do so and our team is working on-site in partnership with archaeological representatives from Durham University to ensure any historic bones are carefully moved whilst we continue our work to restore supplies for our customers.

“Excavation has to be carried out carefully and slowly and as a result this is, unfortunately, meaning that it is taking longer than usual to complete the repairs as work has to stop each time anything is discovered, with inspections carried out by an independent archaeologist”.

Power was restored to the affected customers on the afternoon of the 26th of July.