What does creative writing mean to me?

Creative writing has always been an important outlet for me. My interest was first sparked in year four when I was tasked with writing an acrostic poem on friendship. At the time I very much considered this to be a work of artistic genius akin to a Shakespearean sonnet, the accompanying drawings are particularly striking I think. Creative writing quickly became a form of escape for me. As a child, I was very unwell and felt very isolated from my classmates.

Hidden within my ramblings about magic, unicorns and fairy dust is a hint of the deeper themes that, as a child, I was struggling to understand and internalise.

Creative writing quickly became a form of escape. Writing became a way I could go somewhere else, be someone else. In years five and six I was writing stories about being whisked away by fairies, or discovering my previously unknown magical abilities or living somewhere else entirely. Looking back on my childhood writing has been an illuminating experience for me. Hidden within my ramblings about
magic, unicorns and fairy dust is a hint of the deeper themes that, as a child, I was struggling to understand and internalise.

I still write frequently

Themes of loneliness and pain and grief were prominent in the background of my writing. This is one of the reasons I think that creative writing is such a vital part of child development. The act of imagining and writing helps children to comprehend the complex emotions that they experience and develop skills such as empathy and compassion. I still write frequently, although now the creative process is less about internalising and escaping and more about self-expression.

My poetry is still of dubitable quality and I am only just beginning to work up the courage to start sharing my work. The way I see it, the creative writing process is as much of a journey as the story you are telling and is something in which everyone should get involved.

Image: Chris Blakeley via Flickr Creative Commons