Virtual carol service to be held in Durham Cathedral this evening

This evening at 7.30pm, the Durham Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (DICCU) will hold its annual carol service in Durham Cathedral.

In previous years, thousands of students were welcomed into Durham Cathedral to sing carols and listen to a sermon. This Christmas the service will be filmed in the cathedral and screened online to accommodate for coronavirus restrictions. 

The carol service has always been popular, with some students even sitting on the aisle floor last year in order to watch. The online format will make it possible for more to attend and for students beyond Durham to join in too. 

The carols will be led by Durham University Chamber Choir, Durham University Choral Society, soloist Naomi Cook, and the DICCU virtual choir, with this year’s order of service featuring the likes of O Come, All Ye Faithful, In the Bleak Midwinter, and Hark the Herald Angels Sing. 

The Durham Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (DICCU) describes itself as “a student-led community seeking to share the phenomenal news of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection with every student in our university.”

The service is often followed by refreshments and mince pies served at St. John’s College and St. Nic’s Church, located on Market Square. As this will not be possible this year, students are encouraged to warm up their own mince pies before joining the live stream, which can be found at www.diccucarols.com