‘Decolonising the curriculum’ workshops to take place in Epiphany term

In response to “Black Lives Matter, to systemic racism and to deep-seated inequalities”, Executive Dean Professor Janet Stewart has announced that three ‘decolonising the curriculum’ workshops will take place this term. 

In these sessions, Faculty members from across seven departments will be presenting their work on decolonisation. The workshops have been designed to “ensure that we are able to share best practices and facilitate cross-departmental dialogue on a matter that concerns us all.” The workshops will be open to all staff and students and will be followed by discussion. 

The dates are as follows:

1st session: 21st January 2021, 14:00 – 16:00, presented by Modern Languages & Cultures and Music

2nd session: 9th February 2021, 14:00 – 16:00, presented by History and Theology & Religion. 

3rd session: 4th March 2021, 15:00 – 17:00, presented by English, Philosophy and Classics. 

To attend any of the sessions email Kirsten Shale, paexecdean.artsandhumanities@durham.ac.uk.

This action comes as a result of a recent increase in conversation, research and learning about decolonising the curriculum. A cross-departmental meeting was held in November 2020 in where was decided that a series of open discussion events should be held in order to raise awareness amongst both staff and students. It also follows last year’s campaign by Durham Students’ Union to ‘decolonise the curriculum’.

Professor Janet Stewart said that she is “keen to ensure that we have the chance to learn from one another in this area in order to ensure that our Faculty draws upon its own strengths to ensure that it takes action on a commitment to decolonisation.”

https://www.dunelm.org.uk/donations/palatinate

Photograph: Nicole Baster via Unsplash