‘Urban Angels’ to protect women walking home in Durham

‘Urban Angels’, an organisation which seeks to help protect women walking home, is being introduced in Durham.

The Facebook group will provide a safe space where women can voice issues, support each other and share safety tips. This group will also give women the opportunity to alert others to anything unsafe or suspicious in their area so that they know what to look out for or avoid. 

They also hope to organise a system of ‘Stroll Mates’, run by volunteers who will walk students home so they are not walking alone late at night. Following the death of Sarah Everard, this night watch seeks to give women an option when they are feeling vulnerable or unsafe at night. 

‘Urban Angels’ told Palatinate that they also hope that gathering the opinions of students who have experienced this kind of threat to their safety will help generate ideas on how to make Durham a safer place for women.

The organisation has released an anonymous survey which enables people to speak about their experiences, to allow for complete privacy if an experience is too personal to be shared openly. 

“We want to use this space as somewhere to make our voices heard and to bring light to the horrific experiences we face and to make change.”

Urban Angels

On the Facebook group, they explain that they “want to use this space as somewhere to make our voices heard and to bring light to the horrific experiences we face and to make change”.

The organisation is University-based and has eleven communities across the country including ones in Exeter, Leeds, Glasgow, and Portsmouth. The Birmingham Facebook group currently has over one thousand members who contribute to the community.

The Facebook group was launched today on the 3rd of June at 2pm. Find out more at https://linktr.ee/UrbanAngels.

Image: Urban Angels via Facebook