Ustinov College marks the 100th birthday of its namesake

Ustinov College is today celebrating the achievements and contributions of its namesake, Sir Peter Ustinov, to the University with a series of events in his honour to mark the centenary of his birth. Sir Ustinov was an award-winning actor, director and writer.

As well as his work in TV and film, Sir Peter was also a humanitarian, working as an ambassador for UNICEF and the president of the World Federalist Movement. He was made Chancellor of Durham University in 1992 and continued in this role until his death in 2004. 

Ustinov College is the Durham college for Postgraduate students, it opened in 1965 and was renamed in 2003 in honour of Sir Peter. He said that he felt a particular affinity with the college, which has a particularly diverse, international community. 

“We are proud to be associated with Sir Peter Ustinov he was very much a global citizen and celebrated the strength which arises from diversity”

Professor Glenn McGregor, head of Ustinov College, said “We are proud to be associated with Sir Peter Ustinov he was very much a global citizen and celebrated the strength which arises from diversity”. 

The events include a virtual quiz, competition and an outdoor viewing of the film The Way Ahead which Sir Peter wrote when he was 21. A series of video messages have also been released in his honour, including one from his son Igor who continues his legacy as Chairman of the Ustinov Foundation. 

Image: Sir Peter Ustinov on the Durham University website.