University museums welcome North East school children for virtual visits

Pupils and teachers from across the North East have enjoyed ‘virtual visits’ to Durham University’s museums.

University museums would normally have welcomed hundreds of school visits across the summer, but have been closed since March.

Instead, 335 children from 10 primary schools have so far had the chance to virtually explore artefacts and resources from the collections. Pupils have been able to interact with Egyptian mummies, see Viking Runes and learn about prehistoric Britain.

David Mordue, a Year 5 teacher at Bishop Ian Ramsay CofE Primary School, near Consett, praised the initiative: “I loved how it was still interactive and as hands-on as possible. I really liked the flow of the session and how it was broken up into different sections to keep the children engaged.”

Liz Waller, Director of Library and Collections at Durham University, said: “We are all disappointed that we can’t currently welcome school groups into our museums to explore our collections. We want to do all we can to support learning at all ages at this challenging time, and this is a great example of how, with creativity and enthusiasm, that can be possible.”

“We want to do all we can to support learning at all ages at this challenging time, and this is a great example of how, with creativity and enthusiasm, that can be possible.”

Lizz waller, Director of library and collections

The Learning and Engagement Team is currently taking bookings for live sessions from the Oriental Museum and Museum of Archaeology. The Archives and Special Collections at Palace Green Library is also offering support for sixth form students undertaking their Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) and A-levels.

For more information, please visit www.durham.ac.uk/4schools

Photograph: Durham University Library and Collections