Birthday honours awarded to over 20 Durham associates

Over 20 alumni, friends and associates of Durham University have been recognised in the annual Queen’s Birthday Honours list.

Among the list was Sir David Attenborough, who added a GCMG to his long list of accolades. The award-winning broadcaster, respected author and environmental advocate received an honorary Doctorate of Science (DSc)  from Durham in 1982. 

Alumni were recognised for their work during the pandemic. This included Ian Hammond, who received an MBE for services to the NHS during the Covid-19 response, and Kathryn McCloghrie who studied at University College and received an MBE for services to the community in Cumbria during the Covid-19 response.

“Those individuals celebrated represent the inspiration and leadership that characterises Durham alumni the world over.”

Miranda Curtis, meanwhile, received a CMG for services to gender equality globally. Curtis studied Spanish at St Cuthbert’s Society, before embarking on a high-profile career in global trade and telecommunications. She chairs the Campaign for Female Education and accepted the award on their behalf. 

The University congratulated the recipients. “From supporting women to access education, to the protection of our natural world, to stellar lifetime achievements across business, society, and the arts – those individuals celebrated represent the inspiration and leadership that characterises Durham alumni the world over. We are inspired by their success and honoured by their affiliation with our institution.”