Durham wins University Challenge quarter-final

Durham’s University Challenge team have won against Strathclyde University in the programme’s quarter finals on Monday 25th January, scoring 155 to Strathclyde’s 115. Durham need to win one more round in order to secure a place in the semi-finals.

Durham has been defeated at the semi-finals for the past two years.

Durham took an early lead with questions on French words starting with Ca, before struggling on a round on the politician Ellen Wilkinson. They continued the lead with questions on renaissance artists and novels with alliterative titles.

Durham’s team is made up of Harry Regan (Liberal Arts, St John’s College), Thomas Banbury (History, Van Mildert College), Thomas Wilkening (Biosciences, Van Mildert College) and team captain Holly Parkinson (Physics, Van Mildert College). The team had a Team Durham scarf and a Van Mildert Duck as a mascot.

Palatinate’s Profile team caught up with them earlier in the year, where they spoke about the challenges of filming during the pandemic. You can read the full interview here

The team has already seen off competition from teams from Edinburgh University as well as Leicester University. 

Durham has reached the semi-finals in the two previous series, but was narrowly defeated by Edinburgh University in 2019 and Corpus Christi, Cambridge in 2020.

Since it first aired in 1962, University Challenge has been won by Durham twice – first in 1977, and again in 2000.

Image: BBC

https://www.dunelm.org.uk/donations/palatinate