Durham to be placed under Tier 3 Covid-19 restrictions

The government has announced County Durham will leave the national lockdown in the Tier 3 “Very High Alert” category.

This means that people are unable to meet indoors with those outside their household or support bubble, and that pubs, cafés and restaurants must remain closed. Non-essential shops and sports facilities may open, whilst the rule of six applies to all outdoor settings.

Durham County Council stressed it is only by following the restrictions that County Durham can move into Tier 2.

“We must continue to work together”

Durham County Council

The Council also explained that they would be working with the government to roll-out targeted community testing as quickly as possible. “Let’s continue to work as one, protect our most vulnerable residents, and keep as much pressure as possible off the NHS to help us enter 2021 with a real opportunity to come back to normal”, they said.

The Council stressed that some degree of normality in the new year can happen only through working together within the Tier 3 restrictions.

The local area will join other areas in the North East, including Newcastle, in the restrictions. Tiers have been decided through analysis of the case rate and the rate of increase, as well as the regional pressures on the NHS.

Any student is eligible for asymptomatic LFT rapid testing. Bookings can be made through DUO.