470 new homes to be built in Durham

A new housing estate will be built near Durham despite concerns of overpopulation.

Up to 470 homes will be built to the west of the A1, on land off Sherburn Road, south of the Dragonville area.

Members of Durham County Council’s planning committee backed the scheme, as housing developers Barratt Homes and Miller Homes were praised for their work with local councillors and residents.

However, some residents raised concerns that the proposed size of the new estate is not big enough to house the 470 homes.

John Ashby, of the City of Durham Trust, said: “The root cause of the problems with the application is trying to cram too many houses on the site. It’s now all too clear that 470 is far too many, [it] is demonstrably out of scale and this should be a robust ground for refusal.”

Cllr Christine Fletcher, of the local Belmont ward, added: “I am generally supportive of this development but have a few concerns. Whilst I am pleased to see a wide mix of homes including bungalows, I am concerned that there are too many properties to be installed on this site.”

Yet, many councillors across the county welcomed the scheme, saying that it will help transform the Durham area.

Cllrs Eric and Lesley Marvin, of the Belmont ward, showed their support for the proposal, while Belmont Parish Council requested some changes to the application to create a housing development that is a “credit to Durham city and the developers.”

Applicants Barratt Homes and Miller Homes have said “It is considered that development of the site for 470 new homes will create new investment in the area and increased activity.”

The managing director at Miller Homes, Patrick Arkle, added: “We’re really excited about the opportunity to create a sustainable community. Durham is a place where people aspire to live and love to visit. I believe that this gateway into Durham will enhance and celebrate all that Durham stands for.”

“We’re really excited about the opportunity to create a sustainable community. Durham is a place where people aspire to live and love to visit”

Patrick arkle

Cllr Carl Marshall said members would be “barking mad” to vote against the proposal. He said: “We’ve got a well-designed estate; we need to get on and allow the developers to deliver the housing that is needed to take the county forward.”

5 thoughts on “470 new homes to be built in Durham

• The road infrastructure in that area is already inadequate for what is already there. What improvements to this will happen to accommodate possibly 2 more cars per household in this area?

• Im 37 and Durham is completely ruined from the place I grew up ! sounds like it’s only going to get worse at a fast rate! Most unreliable bus service in Europe goes past that road, be even worse with another 500 or so cars flooding it.

• Durham used to be full of families & it presented like a village. The university used to rub along with the locals. Now we’ve lost ‘quaint’ Durham, it’s like Newcastle. There are hardly any families in the centre. The university has taken over everything . The houses are expensive. The city is creeping out & growing like a tumour. We are building over our lovely rural countryside. And no one seems to care!
    It’s such a shame that greed is going to win again.

• I guarantee that there will be cars parked on the pavements because the roads will be too narrow and any front garden space big enough will become a parking space for cars. What’s the plan for chargers for the EVs everyone will have in this brave new world? I’ve lived on a new estate like this and they just cram as many houses as they can into as small a space as possible. The roads will be horrendous t peak times too. Durham is ruined.

• This was Green Belt land. It shouldn’t have been reallocated in the first place, but then crowding 470 houses onto an area which should barely have 300 is lunacy. The roads around here are rammed already but hey, you carry out that traffic survey in the middle of lockdown so it’s all fine! I doubt the mitigations for the red list bird species will ever happen either considering building works have started during skylark nesting season so they clearly don’t give a damn. And a “contribution” from the developers to local schools – what will that do exactly?? Build an entire classroom for the 100+ kids who will live on this estate? I doubt that very much. Way to go DCC!