University launches free ‘Museum from Home’ online package for schools and community groups

In order to support continued learning during the COVID-19 pandemic, Durham University has launched a suite of free online resources, or ‘Museum from Home’ package. 

All of the ‘Museum from Home’ suite is free and available via the University’s website. Activities and resources have been designed so as to require minimal equipment. 

The new scheme includes an online gallery featuring art created by young people involved in Arts Award projects and Creative Age, a weekly dementia-friendly art workshop run by the University and Oriental Museum.

It also offers a live streamed version of the University’s weekly Little Dragons club for children under five, online resources for primary and secondary school students, and support for leaders seeking to apply for Arts Award funding or deliver an Arts Award project for young people. More resources will be added in the coming weeks. 

“While nothing can replace visiting a museum or handling an artefact for real, we hope the package we’ve put together will be a great tool in the current circumstances”

Liz Waller

The University’s Director of Library and Collections, Liz Waller, said that “Although the COVID-19 restrictions mean we can’t welcome visitors to our museums and attractions right now, we’re determined to keep supporting learning and interaction with our collections during the lockdown.

“We’re excited to launch the ‘Museum from Home’ suite of free online resources and looking forward to seeing how schools, community groups and people of all ages explore and enjoy the activities we’ve made available.

“The team has worked really hard to make a wide range of resources available online in a short time. While nothing can replace visiting a museum or handling an artefact for real, we hope the package we’ve put together will be a great tool in the current circumstances, and we look forward to learning together in-person again as soon as the pandemic restrictions allow.”

The work adds to the University’s work with schools as part of the ‘4schools’ scheme. In the past year, the team have worked with nearly 25,000 young people from nursery age to A level, as well as organising nearly 650 visits to the University’s collections, including Palace Green Library, Durham Castle Museum, the Botanic Garden and the Museum of Archaeology.

The University’s ‘Museum from Home’ package can be accessed here

Image: Durham University via Flickr