St John’s College illuminated blue in support of NHS

St John’s College’s main building was lit up in blue in support of the NHS workers who are fighting the Coronavirus pandemic.

The building’s five storeys turned a deep shade of blue on 29 April. The light show was coordinated by students and put on by the County Durham based lighting specialist, VORTEX Lighting Ltd.

Micheal Crilly, one of the students who arranged the display, said that ‘Safety remained the top priority and all aspects of the illumination were carried out while abiding to social distancing measures. Special care was taken not to advertise the event, to avoid anyone gathering to see the lights.’

‘The whole John’s community hope that this colourful thank you goes some way to show our enormous appreciation for the essential and courageous work carried out by NHS staff and key workers during the coronavirus pandemic.’

Another from the Durham community who has showed their support for those on the frontline, is Collingwood student, Jack Chrisp. He has today successfully rowed 5 marathons in 5 days.

Along with his brother Sam, who has run the same amount, the two completed the brutal challenge which ‘collectively equates to 263 miles, and is the equivalent distance from Edinburgh to John O’Groat or 12 times across the English channel’, despite the immense physical strain they were under.

The brothers have raised almost £5000, and will donate to the NSPCC and The High Sheriff of Northumberland’s Youth against crime Awards.

Jack explained that ‘both of these charities are undertaking key work during the current COVID-19 crisis.’

‘It is vitally important that they keep receiving the funding that keeps them functional.’

Images: Ariel Mihály, Jessica Wang and