Successful SU candidates demand release of results and public apology

Last night, the five successful candidates in the Students’ Union officer elections published a joint statement on Facebook, saying that they are “appalled” at how the SU has handled the elections, and expressing their anger that the results have not been released. They also requested a public apology from the SU and the RON campaign.

The statement was made by five incoming officers, Seun Twins (President), Nailah Haque (Undergraduate Academic), Sarah McAllister (Postgraduate Academic), Ewan Swift (Welfare and Liberation), and Anna Marshall (Opportunities). 

This news comes after the SU took the controversial decision this week to disqualify the RON candidate in the elections, on the grounds that it breached electoral rules. 

“The level of toxicity that has existed online and in person over the last month has been incomprehensible here in Durham”

The SU’s defence of the decision can be read here.

The candidates said in the post that “we are waiting for this just like you and we want to see it.”

Palatinate understands that the results will be released early next week. 

In addition to these demands, the statement also reflected on the emotional cost that had been caused by the mismanagement of the election and the RON campaign: “The level of toxicity that has existed online and in person over the last month has been incomprehensible here in Durham”. In particular, the post cited “damage to candidate mental health.”

However, the statement announced that they will not resign, because “it was not clear resignation would lead to a more democratic process”.

Summarising, the candidates asked for sensitivity as they finish their degrees, saying “We don’t know what the future is going to hold for us, but please respect that we are students who are trying to do degrees, but have had their lives dominated by this election for over a month which has prevented us from being able to keep up with work”.

Image: Alan via Flickr