University and Students’ Union release joint statement about Online Conduct

A statement was sent via email to all students yesterday reminding them that online behaviour “which is racist, misogynistic and constitutes bullying and harassment” is “not acceptable.”

This email was co-signed by Pro-Vice-Chancellor Jeremy Cook, current SU President Kate McIntosh, and Chair of JCR Presidents’ Committee Caragh Evans.

In the email, they stood against the “recent and extremely disappointing increase in the use of inappropriate and often abusive language in emails and social media posts.” 

Such behaviour, they clarified, goes against their commitment “to building a culture of inclusivity and respect” within Durham.

We will not tolerate racism, homophobia, ableism, classism, sexism or transphobia under any circumstances

This statement was released following future SU President Seun Twins’ controversial comments leaked on the Overheard at Durham Uni Facebook page (among other posts). The page has since been archived.

The email went on to urge students to “treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. 

“We will not tolerate racism, homophobia, ableism, classism, sexism or transphobia under any circumstances.”

Any type of bullying or harassing behaviour, they explained, “can lead to serious disciplinary consequences.

They also linked their Report and Support tool, which students can use to report such behaviour, and announced that “our Respect at Work and Respect at Study policies are being updated and a clear statement of the expectations of behaviour online and in person for all staff and students is being developed.”

Image by