Two men arrested following dramatic police pursuit

Durham_Market_PlaceDurham police have arrested two men on suspicion of burglary following a dramatic seven-mile pursuit through the city, which finally ended in the Market Place.

When the suspects’ car crashed into a barrier at a multi-storey car park,  the men were forced to run through the Market Place, which was filled with busy shoppers, where they were eventually detained by police officers.

The arrest follows an incident in Whitby, North Yorkshire, where a white Mercedes was stolen, along with a substantial amount of jewellery.

North Yorkshire police traced the incident to a Vauxhall Vectra, which they found driving in the Wheatley Hill area on the 29th of December.  Police attempted to stop the vehicle but failed to do so, and a chase quickly ensued.

Officers from the Durham Specialist Operations Unit intervened in an attempt to stop the car, which had a minor collision with a police car on Gilesgate roundabout as it drove towards the centre of Durham, but no one was injured.

The men then attempted to escape on foot after colliding with a barrier and a parked car in the Walkergate multi-story car park.

With a police helicopter looking down on them, they rushed through the city centre, much to the shock of local shoppers, but were eventually halted by the police officers in the Market Place.

A spokesperson from Durham police claimed the men “have been detained on suspicion of burglary and are in custody presently in Durham. Enquires are ongoing to trace other possible occupants of the car”.

Photograph: Wikipedia 

2 thoughts on “Two men arrested following dramatic police pursuit

• The Palatinate, first with breaking news eh?

The story was only reported by the Durham Times on the 31st… Incidentally, they also report that it happened on the 30th. Someones got their facts wrong…