Recipes to keep you warm this winter

By Emerson Shams

It is officially that time of year, it’s freezing outside, everyone is getting ill, and you’re counting down the days until it’s warmer. Until then, whether you’re feeling poorly or just cold, soups are a stupendous pick-me up and a way to stay warm. Some grand ones are the perpetually classic chicken noodle, pea + mint and of course tomato bisque. However, a small upgrade goes a long way; especially regarding tomato soup. Here are two tomato soup upgrades that you’re bound to enjoy.

Tomato Oatmeal Soup

My dad’s own recipe, a family favourite whenever we are ill.
Ingredients:
– ½ cup rolled oats

-1 jar of passata (crushed tomatoes) 350g

-1 white onion: chopped

-3 garlic cloves: minced

-salt + pepper

-oregano + cumin (optional)

-olive oil

-1 ½ cups of water

Method:

1. In a pot, sauté, on medium heat, garlic and onion until onion becomes tender.
  2. Pour in tomatoes, water, and spices. Mix. Set to simmer.
  3. Add oatmeal and cook until finished.

Note: When it comes to spicing the soup, I recommend starting with a pinch and adding until you get a taste you like. Some members of my family prefer the soup with less oregano or less cumin, hence this note.

a small upgrade goes a long way; especially regarding tomato soup

Tomato Soup + Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Another childhood favourite, the point is to dip the sandwich into the soup. For this recipe, any regular tomato soup works, it’s primarily for the grilled cheese.

Ingredients:
-2 slices of bread (recommended: sourdough)

-1 clove of garlic: minced

-butter

-ricotta cheese

-fresh mozzarella cheese

-oregano

Method:

1. In a frying pan, place a pad of butter, and sauté garlic until you smell it.
  2. Spread ricotta cheese on one slice of bread and place the cheese-less side down into the pan.
  3. Place other piece of bread down in pan and add sliced mozzarella to the side facing up.
  4. Sprinkle oregano on the mozzarella side.
  5. Once bread is lightly browned, combine the halves and flip steadily until they melt into one.
  6. Eat immediately by dipping it into the soup.

Note: Another cheese combo which works well with tomato soup is mild cheddar (level 1 or 2), sauerkraut, and a small amount of mustard. Follow all the same directions regarding buttering the bread.

Image: Pixabay

One thought on “Recipes to keep you warm this winter

• thanks for the great recipes! what a revolutionary way to make a cheese toastie 🙂 to veganise the recipe, I used ‘Violife’ slices instead of mozzarella, and ‘nush’ almond milk cheese