A Valentine’s Meal to Remember

By Emerson Shams

Valentine’s Day – a day when romance is in the air, or at least love. And what better way to show this to a loved one than preparing a meal for them – the best ingredient in food is love, after all. This three-course meal manages to feature multiple aphrodisiacs as well, so it’s the perfect meal to help make a perfect night.

Aperitif: Pomegranate Salad

Ingredients

• Mixed lettuce
  • Parmesan or feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar (Balsamic works as well)
  • 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 plum/cherry tomatoes
  • Pomegranate seeds
  • Croutons
  • ⅓ to ½ red onion (optional)

Method

Halve tomatoes. Slice up onion. Mix together in a bowl and add all the ingredients.

Main Course: Honey Lemon Salmon with Spaghetti

Ingredients:

• 2 Salmon Fillets (chicken thighs can also be used and prepared similarly)
  • Honey
  • 1 Lemon
  • 5 cloves Garlic
  • 1 Shallot or ½ red onion
  • Salt + Pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • Oregano (optional)
  • Spaghetti

Method

1. Dry salmon (or chicken) off with a paper towel.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together honey, ½ lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oregano.
  3. In a skillet, turn heat up on high, when oil is shimmering, but not smoking, add salmon fillets, skin side down. Cook for 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness. It’ll be ready to flip when it’s golden brown and the skin gets crispy and releases from the body of the fish.
  4. Add sliced shallot, 2 lemon slices, and 3 sliced garlic cloves to the skillet. Flip the salmon. Add Honey-lemon sauce to pan.
  5. Cook skin side up for two minutes, then remove from the pan.
  6. In a pot, boil water. Add salt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and spaghetti. Cook as directed on the box. 
  7. Serve salmon with sauce over the olive oil.

Note: If choosing the chicken option, cook on medium for about 10 minutes, flipping regularly, then place on high for 3 minutes on each side. Add sauce after and let sauce warm up around the chicken.

Finale: Wine and Cheese Board

Now this is really simple. You’ve spent time cooking in the kitchen, this just requires cutting some cheese up and opening up the wine. I recommend a nice sweet white wine such as Moscato – but really that’s your preference. But for the cheese and crackers, a nice combination is a creamy brie, a fresh mozzarella ball, a goat cheese roll, and some cheddar. As for the crackers, it’s good to get a variety. I like the beetroot and the ones with seeds, but the normal butter crackers are good to add to the mix.

There you have it: a lovely three-course Valentine’s dinner which will have whoever you are cooking for on cloud nine.

Image: Pixabay