Rowers secure medal haul and BUCS points

by

The annual head was held in Peterborough the weekend before last.

The conditions were cold and windy, but this did not hinder Durham’s performance, who won 132 points over the weekend.

All crews were required to race over a 4.5 km course in a ‘head race’, a time trial format in which crews are set off at 30 second intervals.

The freshers’ squads particularly impressed, winning gold in both the men’s beginners eights and womens coxed fours.

This achievement is particularly noteworthy as this squad is made up of complete novices, who all started rowing last term, when they came to Durham.

Fresher coach, Matt Evans said, “I am really happy with how the squad has developed, and these results are a reflection of all the hard work they, and the other coach (Debbie Connolly) have put in.”

The senior squad also had a strong presence on the podium.

The men won the championship coxless four, came second in the championship coxed four; champ eight and intermediate 8 and earned bronze medals in intermediate coxed four and lightweight quad.

Lightweight Lewis Weaver was pleased with his bronze in the lightweight quad, but ambitious for more: “we were really happy with the result and see it has a stepping stone to greater things at the regatta.”

The women won gold in the championship coxless 4 and intermediate 8, silver in the championship 8, bronze in the championship coxed and coxless fours; as well as in the lightweight four.

Club president Franz Imfield said that the event was, “a good weekend for development for the Summer season, but where Durham didn’t win, the tables need to be turned for the Regatta.”

Senior coach Wade Hall-Craggs said that he thought the club achieved “a good set of results across the board. The golds from the Freshers are particularly pleasing.”

However he was keen to highlight the high standard of entrants to the race: “For the seniors the golds were encouraging but the event is getting more competitive. Our second eights would have done well in their championship events.

“The overall performance of the club shows the training is working but we will need to focus our talent to win more golds.”

Next on DUBC’s agenda is the Head of The River, which is held in London in mid-March for the men and next week for the women.