DUBC secure early-season medal haul

by

DUBC enjoyed a successful weekend in Boston, Lincolnshire, where the first set of GB U23 trials and the small boats head took place.

On Saturday trialists undertook the mandatory 2km ergo test, with some impressive results achieved in both men’s and women’s fields. Callum McBrierty came 3rd out of the U23’s in a time of 6:02 and Izzy Currie impressed finishing in the top ten.

Hannah Cannell also made an impact with a time of 7:10. Having only started rowing last year with Durham’s fresher’s programme, she managed to make the 2km erg cut-off for the U23’s, getting 7.14.0. She came 9th at U23 level, just behind the top Durham woman, Izzy Currie, who came 4th.

The men also did well in the scull category. Fresher Andy Brown came 13th overall, making him the top Durham male sculler. Former GB junior, Angus Groom was likewise pleased with his result of 20th.

The lightweight men also made their mark in the trials. Former U23 World Champion, Will Fletcher got an impressive personal best of 6:19 on the ergometer, as well as coming 11th in the scull.

He was closely followed by Tim Woodman, a fresher, who came 12th in the ergo (6.24.9) and 26th in the scull. This was Woodman’s first time at trials so this was a meaningful result. Veteran of the club, Stu West, was pleased with his PB on the ergo of 6.28.

But Durham’s success was not confined to the trials alone.

In the small boats head, the men’s double (Callum McBrierty and Angus Groom) and the women’s double (Hannah Cannell and Izzy Currie) both won gold.
When asked about their success, the men’s double put it down to the intensive programme they had been following and the quality of the new facilities that they had been using.

The second women’s double (Jess Budgett and Rachel Martin) won an impressive silver medal, and the second men’s double (Barney Stentiford and Andy Brown) came 8th.
Other medal winners were Lucy Glendinning and Courtenay Hallwood, who picked up a bronze in the women’s lightweight double.

Meanwhile, Daisy Colsell and Camilla Hadland in the women’s pair, John Ford and Simon Hardie in the men’s pair and Will Fletcher and Stu West in the men’s lightweight pair all finished fourth in their events, narrowly missing out on medals.