Red Carpet Review: The BAFTAs

There are only a few moments when it seems suitable to don your finest wear, to spend hours getting ready and making sure every component of your outfit matches. A chance to walk the red carpet has to be one of these moments. The question “And who are you wearing?” is almost more of a priority than actually asking about the film the actor / actress in question is in these days. With award season in full swing, Sunday night gave London the opportunity to take centre stage as the stars from in front and behind the screen descended on Covent Garden for the BAFTA Film Awards 2016.

In true British style, ‘welcome to England’ was accompanied by plummeting temperatures. Zoe Ball’s go to interview conversation starter, often with a slightly bemused looking celebrity on the red carpet, was how thick the deniers of their tights were. However these chilly conditions didn’t sway many celebrities from one of the key trends of the night – the deep plunging neckline. #Taketheplunge trended on Twitter as low-cut dress after low-cut dress emerged, making it appear to be the neckline of choice for the evening.

It seemed also that red – to match the famous carpet – was the shade to be seen in. French actress Stacey Martin wore a gorgeous embellished burgundy velvet Miu Miu gown, demonstrating pure Hollywood glamour, while Dakota Johnson sported a lighter floor-length number by Dior playing on a more simple and casual style.

A little less revealing but no less glamorous was Annabelle Wallis’ choice for the event. Wallis looked stunning in an intricate lace halter neck from Oscar de la Renta’s Spring 2016 collection. The dress matched her simple eye makeup, jewel heavy drop earrings and classic red lip beautifully.

Emilia Clarke’s Victoria Beckham offering was also in keeping with this red low-cut style, however the shoulder structure did not offer the same relaxed elegance of the other two dresses. The over-structuring around the neckline and shoulders is what let down Laura Whitmore’s rather startlingly turquoise Star Trek-esque number. Although in keeping with the #taketheplunge theme of the evening, it seemed a little out of place next to the more sultry reds and blacks.

Although I was entirely moved by her performance in ‘The Danish Girl’, Alicia Vikander’s black leather Louis Vuitton dress did not have the same effect. The second half of the dress looked, in my opinion, as if silver tinsel had been sewn onto it. And if the dress did actually weigh the reported 32 pounds in weight, I can happily say I’m glad it wasn’t me attempting to walk down the red carpet in it.

Cate Blanchett’s striking Alexander McQueen dress was another where I was let down by the bottom half of the dress. The bottom, entirely made of feathers, took away from the eye-catching floral pattern on the top half of the dress. A little too peacock-like for my particular taste, yet Blanchett did manage to carry it off, looking more elegant than bird like.

My top two dresses of the evening are a testament to the age-old fashion rule, that nothing beats a black dress when aiming for elegance. Saoirse Ronan’s floor length embellished black Burberry gown screamed red carpet glamour. Her large pink and silver jewelled necklace matched the embellished flowers on the dress and her off the face hair up do allowed the dress to be showcased to its full potential.

However, the true show stealer of the evening had to be Kate Winslet dressed in Antonio Dorani. Looking every inch the Hollywood superstar and oozing sophistication, Winslet showed that to win the red carpet you don’t necessarily need to wear the most daring dress you can find, just one that makes you feel absolutely fantastic.

Featured image: Chloe via Wikimedia Commons