Pre-Fall 2016

The streets of the Big Apple are still filled with excitable Christmas tourists and shoppers, but the fashion world of New York has already moved on to bigger and brighter things – Pre Fall collections for 2016. Notorious for its forward planning, fashion shows are seemingly months in advance with the summer filled with shows for the following winter and vice versa. However, the relatively new trend of pre season shows is becoming ever more popular. Pre Fall shows provide more economic benefit to designers and high street shops than any other traditional fashion season. They not only deliver the basic building blocks to our winter wardrobes, but they also help to guide the normally disappointing transition between Summer and Autumn – where it is no longer bikini weather, but to go straight to the faithful shearling coat and thermals would be a little drastic.

In an ode to the now largely finished Christmas party season, this year’s Pre Fall shows were littered with metallics and sequins. Venturing from the bold presentation of Altuzarra’s mid length red sequin skirt, to the subtle but stylish addition of gold metallic to Area’s trousers. This pizzazz is further echoed in Paco Rabanne’s sparkly tank top.

The flash back feel found in a number of the Pre Fall shows added an air of spunk to the wearable collections – Gucci’s offering delivered some lust worthy quirky cardigans. Their impressive 80-piece collection also provided some great plaid trousers for channelling No Doubt circa the 1990s.

With all things leopard print and leather, following on from this year’s winter collections, Alexander Wang repeated the trend with his cheetah print coat and grommet studded midi skirt. J.W Anderson also featured this trend with a beautiful leather midi dress. Both Wang and Anderson’s collections highlight the focus on precise tailoring that featured in many shows. Versace demonstrated this through sharp cut jackets and dresses– in keeping with the sport utility style.

Lagerfeld used a risqué play on masculine and feminine roles to put forward heavy duty tweed tailoring for the Chanel show. While the outfits can be worn all at the same time, as presented in the show, individual pieces too would add fashion gravitas to any outfit.

It is perhaps Chanel’s timeless dress that sums up the season. The fashion house does this kind of beautiful work seemingly effortlessly: black lace, fitted waist, intricate floral pattern. The dress demonstrates Lagerfeld’s ability to play to the darker side of colour while remaining effortlessly delicate.

It seems however that next year it will be hard to go far without the influence of floral print. Whether in pattern or cartoon form, in tops, bottoms or in dresses- it appears the flower is having a comeback.