Recipe: Ultimate Easter Egg Rocky Road

Put away that jigsaw puzzle and turn off Netflix. Let’s gets quarantine baking!  You can use all sorts of different-flavoured chocolate (ginger chocolate, hazelnut chocolate, chilli chocolate, etc). Alternatively, melt down that spare, left-over Easter egg the Easter bunny left you and use whatever extras you’ve got to add to this easy and delicious rocky road.

Ingredients

300g dark chocolate (70% works best)

120g unsalted butter

100g golden syrup

170g digestive biscuits, roughly broken up into 2cm pieces

1 pack of mini eggs

80g of mini marshmallows

80g raisins (optional: soak them in a tsp of rum for 20 minutes) or 80g nuts (e.g. cashews, pecans, pistachios) 

Method

1. Line a 28cm x 18cm baking tray or glass dish with parchment paper .
  2. If using nuts, chop into small pieces and roast them in an over at 220 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes.
  3. Using the base of a saucepan, gently bash each individual mini egg into rough chunks. 
  4. Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup in a glass or metal bowl sitting on saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir regulatory until the mixture is completely melted and combined.
  5. Take the bowl off the heat and add your biscuits, mini eggs, marshmallows and nuts/raisins. Using a spatula, fully combine everything together.
  6. Transfer into the prepared tray, smoothing so that the mixture fills the tray and is evenly spread.
  7. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
  8. Cut into 24 bars using a serrated bread knife and if not eaten immediately, store in the fridge in an airtight container.

Enjoy with a cuppa and a zoom call with your friends.

Image: Unsplash by Jasmine Waheed