National Student Survey reveals high Durham student satisfaction

By Emma Pinckard

According to the results of this year’s National Student Survey (NSS), students at Durham University are among the most satisfied in the country.

The results show that 89% of Durham students said they were satisfied with their course during their time at the University.

However, whilst Durham’s average score of 89% is above the national average of 86%, it marks a decrease of 1% from the 2015 result.

The NSS assesses the opinions of final year undergraduate students and measures their satisfaction with the experience of higher education, and releases corresponding scores across seven different areas: teaching, assessment and feedback, academic support, organisation and management, learning resources, personal development, and overall satisfaction.

Universities are also able to add extra questions to the survey for their own students, however, answers to these are not made available to the public.

Following the new NSS results, Wendy Piatt, director-general of the Russell Group, said: ‘Our universities are committed to taking students’ views and needs very seriously and to providing an outstanding student experience where teaching is enhanced by world-class research and facilities.’

‘Our students graduate with deep subject knowledge and robust analytical skills but are also creative and entrepreneurial problem-solvers – ensuring they have the best chance of success in the global employment market’.

In total, 312,000 finalists from 155 institutions responded to the survey, which released its results on 10th August.

Photograph: